Tag Archives: california
Looking for something different to do on New Year’s Eve? Look no further than these unusual drops around the USA that I wrote about for USAToday.com!
Baby, it’s cold outside! Check out my piece on USAToday.com all about fireplaces and where you can warm up this winter!
Today is National Dog Day, and it’s time to celebrate our beloved four-legged friends. Of course, in our house, every day is a day to celebrate our pup, Lucy!
There’s essentially a month left of summer vacation, but the savings don’t end when school starts back up. Select JW Marriott, Autograph Collection Hotels, Renaissance, Marriott Resorts and Gaylord Hotels in Florida, California, Hawaii, the South, Southwest and Northeast are offering Endless Summer packages.
Available for stays through October 31, 2013 that are booked by Sept. 25, the Endless Summer packages include a room upgrade and up to $100 resort credit.
- Fort Lauderdale Marriott Pompano Beach Resort & Spa
- Gaylord Palms Resort & Convention Center
- Harbor Beach Marriott Resort & Spa
- Hutchinson Island Marriott Beach Resort & Marina
- JW Marriott Orlando Grande Lakes – rates from $229/night
- Key Largo Bay Marriott Beach Resort
- Marco Island Marriott Beach Resort, Golf Club & Spa
- Orlando World Center Marriott
- Palm Beach Marriott Singer Island Beach Resort & Spa
- Renaissance Orlando at SeaWorld®
- The Renaissance Vinoy® Resort & Golf Club
- Sanibel Harbour Marriott Resort & Spa
- Sawgrass Marriott Golf Resort & Spa
- Turnberry Isle Miami, Autograph Collection
- Coronado Island Marriott Resort & Spa
- JW Marriott Desert Springs Resort & Spa – rates from $159/night
- JW Marriott Los Angeles L.A. Live – rates from $349/night
- Renaissance Esmeralda Resort & Spa
- JW Marriott Ihilani Ko Olina Resort & Spa – rates from $349/night
- Waikiki Beach Marriott Resort & Spa
- Kauai Marriott Resort
- Waikoloa Beach Marriott Resort & Spa
- Wailea Beach Marriott Resort & Spa
- Gaylord National Resort & Convention Center
- Horseshoe Bay Resort Marriott
- Gaylord Opryland Resort & Convention Center
- The Inn at Opryland, A Gaylord Hotel
- Gaylord Texan Resort & Convention Center
- JW Marriott San Antonio Hill Country Resort & Spa – rates from $349/night
- JW Marriott Camelback Inn Resort & Spa – rates from $169/night
- JW Marriott Desert Ridge Resort & Spa – rates from $159/night
- JW Marriott Las Vegas Resort & Spa – rates from $134/night
- JW Marriott Starr Pass Resort & Spa – rates from $149/night
- Vail Marriott Mountain Resort & Spa
For more information on these savings and to reserve, visit www.EndlessSummerSpecial.com and enter promo code ZX0.
Father’s Day is Sunday, and it’s time to thank the Dad in your life for everything he’s done for you. Here are a few ideas you may want to check out – after all, dads like to be pampered, too!
Oakville Grocery in Napa Valley has a few items that you can toast Dad with: the Ruhstaller Beer Trio, a Wine Gift Set, an Oakville Grocery Apron for the grillin’ dad, a Cocktail set, or a combo set with Ruhstaller Beer and Chunky Pig Bacon Popcorn.
If your dad really wants to be pampered, check out these spa offers designed just for him.
- At the Mii amo Spa in Sedona, Ariz., the Journeyman’s Facial uses products crafted specifically for men and includes a facial and foot massage. Ahhh…
- The Men’s Fitness Face Therapy at the Ojo Caliente Mineral Springs Resort & Spa in Ojo Caliente, N.M. includes skin care, hot herbal towel therapy, and a soothing face, neck and shoulder massage. The stress just melts away…
- The Men’s Microbrew Break at The Spa At The Hotel Hershey in Hershey, Penn. features a deep cleansing and relaxing facial, massage and lunch, served with a locally brewed beer. Cheers!
- What Ales You at The Spa at Travaasa Austin outside of Austin, Texas, is another brew-based treatment that includes a massage and peppermint foot care, while enjoying organic Texas ale.
- The Men’s Vitalizing Massage at the Sundara Inn & Spa in Wisconsin Dells, Wis. focuses on either relaxation or deep tissue based on what dad needs.
- The Spa Ritual in Calgary, Canada, is offering the Zen for Men Package – designed just for men – with a therapeutic massage, scalp treatment and a sports pedicure.
- If he’s Eastern European-bound, your dad may want to indulge in the Gentleman’s Manicure at the Spa at Four Seasons Hotel Budapest in Hungary, which includes grooming of the nails and cuticles, exfoliation and a hand massage for a professional look.
However you celebrate Father’s Day, the greatest gift of all is a simple, “I love you.”
I’m a treehugger. I have been since my family lived in California when I was in elementary school (4th – 6th grades) in the early 80s. I distinctly remember sitting in an assembly, learning about the importance of conserving water. I remember my dad showing us how to use the crusher in the garage so we could recycle our cans. I’ve held on to those lessons and continue to seek out ways to reuse, recycle and renew.
So, when I heard about Terranea Resort’s Earth Week April 15 – 22, I became intrigued. And thrilled that such a prestigious property is showcasing its green programming. If you’re in the LA area, or want to be, I encourage you to check out Terranea’s week-long activities:
- Denim Collection Turns Blue to Green (April 15-22): Terranea’s Pointe Discovery will be collecting donated denim from guests throughout Earth Week to help support Cotton. From Blue to Green®. Through the Cotton. From Blue to Green® program, denim is collected and converted to UltraTouch Denim Insulation then used in the building of homes in communities in need. UltraTouch Denim Insulation is environmentally safe and offers exceptional acoustic and thermal performance without carcinogenic warnings, formaldehyde, or chemical irritants.
- Reduce, Reuse, Redecorate (April 15-22): Daily crafting classes will show guests how to turn trash into a true treasure. By using all repurposed and recycled materials, each artist will design their own masterpiece to take home.
- Seed Ornaments (April 15-22): Terranea’s shopping boutiques provide guests with the opportunity to give back year-round, offering products from companies such as Della, TOMS, and Pura Vida that contribute a portion of the proceeds from sales to charitable causes and environmental efforts. During Earth Week, Terranea’s activity concierge Pointe Discovery will be gifting customers plantable seed ornaments with each purchase, to encourage individuals to beautify the earth and plant wildflowers in their hometowns.
- Energy Conservation (April 15): Lighting throughout the resort will be turned off or dimmed to the lowest possible setting. Saving electricity doesn’t just save money, it also supports the environment by reducing pollution, and guests are invited to do the same.
- Walk, Bike or Share-a-Ride Day (April 17): Guests are encouraged to explore Terranea and the Rancho Palos Verdes area via mass transit and carpooling. On April 17, guests who carpool to the resort can validate their parking tickets at Pointe Discovery for complimentary valet parking. Less driving means fewer emissions and every gallon of gas saved keeps 20 pounds of carbon dioxide out of the atmosphere.
- Pelican Release (April 20): In partnership with the International Bird Rescue, Terranea will release a rehabilitated pelican into the wild at 10:00 a.m. at the Terranea Beach Cove. Guests are invited to come and view the release and learn more about wildlife bird rescues. The organization operates two year-round aquatic bird rescue centers in California, which care for over 5,000 birds every year, and has led oiled wildlife rescue efforts in more than 200 oil spills in more than a dozen countries.
- Through April, Terranea offers a new Whale Watching Package, including a whale watching harbor cruise for two, two pairs of binoculars and accommodations. Rates start at $560/night (promo code WHALES).
This Earth Week, go green!
updated Dec. 18, 2013
- Fore the Love of Golf: package includes complimentary day of unlimited golf at Bahia Beach Golf Course, 20% discount at Zen Spa, 10% discount off Avis Car Rental (AWD# H611700) and 25% off Callaway Golf Club rental at Bahia Beach Golf Course. Valid through December 2013; minimum two-night stay required. Rates from $285/night.
- Ultimate Golf Package: includes overnight accommodations, two rounds of golf per day (one round day of arrival, departure), daily breakfast buffet, daily lunch and more. Rates from $344/night; minimum two-night stay. Valid through December 31, 2013.
- Golf Getaway: package includes overnight accommodations, one 18-hole round of golf daily with a shared cart and caddie, daily sports lunch box, three-course dinner with wine pairing and unlimited beverage package daily. Rates from $249/person/night; minimum two-night stay. Valid through December 31, 2013.
- Ultimate Golf Package: includes overnight accommodations, unlimited golf each day for one golfer and more. Rates from $174/night. Valid through December 31, 2013.
Arnold Palmer’s Bay Hill Club & Lodge (Orlando)
- 2013 Bay Hill Bucket List Golf Package: includes accommodations in a lodge guestroom, full breakfast, and choice of one round of championship golf or a soothing spa treatment. Rates from $171-$263/person/night. Valid through December 2013.
Elizabeth Pointe Lodge (Amelia Island)
- 3-Night Golf Package: includes three nights’ oceanfront accommodations, daily breakfast, complimentary WiFI, beach equipment, evening wine and hors d’oeuvres and a round of golf at Amelia River Golf Club and North Hampton Golf Club. Rates from $1,484.
- Stay & Play Package: one round of golf for just $100 and second round free at Ocean Links, or Oak Marsh, with a two-night stay.
- Beaches and Bunkers Golf Package: includes overnight stay in coastal view accommodation, breakfast for two (restaurant or in-room), two rounds of golf at The Golf Club of Amelia Island or The Golf Club of North Hampton, and more. Rates from $649/night. Valid through December 31, 2013.
Sawgrass Marriott Golf Resort & Spa (Ponte Vedra Beach)
- Dye’s Duo Golf Experience: package includes one round of golf on TPC Sawgrass’ Stadium and one round of golf on Dye’s Valley, transportation to golf courses, golf bag storage, luxury accommodations, and breakfast. Rates from $304/person/night. Valid through December 2013.
- The PLAYERS Stadium Golf Experience: package includes one round of golf at TPC Sawgrass’ Stadium Course, transportation to golf course, golf bag storage, commemorative 17th Hole bag tag, luxury accommodations and breakfast. Rates from $349/person/night. Valid through December 2013.
- Sawgrass Golf Experience: package includes one round of golf on TPC Sawgrass’ Dye’s Course, transportation to golf course, golf bag storage, luxury accommodations and breakfast. Rates from $269/person/night. Valid through December 2013.
- Sawgrass Golf & Spa Experience: package includes one round of golf on TPC Sawgrass’ Dye Course, Sawgrass Spa 50-minute signature treatment, transportation to golf course, golf bag storage, luxury accommodations, breakfast. Rates from $489/person/night. Valid through December 2013.
- Unlimited Golf: package includes overnight accommodations, one 18-hole round of golf per night’s stay, green fees, cart fees and forecaddie fees, unlimited use of practice facilities, golf club storage, daily buffet breakfast, overnight valet parking and more. Rates from $449/night.
- Stay and Play Golf Package: includes three-night oceanfront accommodations, four rounds of golf and roundtrip transportation to golf course. Rates from $270/night. Valid January 3, 2014 – December 22, 2014.
- ProPlay II Golf Package: includes three nights’ accommodations, three rounds of golf with cart, welcome cocktail, oyster roast, daily breakfast, complimentary daily lunch and more. Valid through June 1, 2014. Rates from $234/person.
- Harbour Town Tour Experience: package includes two nights’ accommodations, daily breakfast, round of golf on Harbour Town Golf Links (walking caddie, lunch during round, practive area with customized name plate, complimentary range balls, one-hour pro instruction prior to the round and first-tee introduction) and bonus round at Heron Point. Rates from $1080/golfer (May 21 – September 23 and November 26 – March 17) and $1210/golfer (March 18 – May 20 and September 24 – November 3). Valid year-round.
NYLO Hotels (Las Colinas, Plano, or South Side [Dallas])
- Stay and Play: package includes one night’s stay, one round of golf at Old American Golf Club, and complimentary yardage book, water, snacks and pro-shop gift. Rates from $213/night/player. Code NYLO Stay and Play.